Beef in Black Sauce
Get this quick and easy beef recipe by Chef Wan from Best Wan!.
- 30 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Best Wan!
- 90 millilitres / 3 fl oz / ⅜ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 kilogram / 2 Pounds / 3 oz Beef, finely sliced (striploin, sirloin, topside)
- 3 pieces Tamarind juice (Assam juice) - mix tamarind pulp with hot water, strain
- 45 grams / 1½ oz / ¼ cup Brown sugar or Palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 1 litre / 1⅗ pints / 4 cups Water
- 125 millilitres / 4 fl oz / ½ cup Dark sweet soy sauce (Kicap manis)
- 3 tablespoons / 2½ fl oz Chilli powder or ready-made Chilli paste (cili boh)
- Paste (to be finely grounded):
- 8 Shallots (red onion), peeled
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cm / 1 inch Ginger, peeled & chopped
- 4 Lemongrass (serai), finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Heat the oil and sauté the paste until fragrant and oil begins to appear on the surface
- Add in beef, tamarind juice, dark sweet soy sauce , brown sugar and water. Stir well. Add salt, pepper and palm sugar to taste
- Simmer until the beef is tender, and the sauce almost dry. Serve
Share it with your friends.