Bengali Lamb Biryani
Whip up this quick and easy lamb recipe by Adrian Richardson.
- 40 minutes
- 4 servings
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, toasted
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup currants
- 500 grams lean minced lamb
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups basmati rice or other uncooked long grain white rice, washed & drained
- 2½ cups chicken stock, warmed
- Preheat oven to 185C.
- In a hot pot, heat the Ghee and brown the onions, then add the garlic, ginger and aromatics. Stir and combine the pistachios and currants.
- Add lamb into the pot in chunks of mince and stir gently stir. Add rice and warmed chicken stock, season and combine.
- Cover the pot and place in the oven with the lid on for 18 – 25 mins at 185C.
- Serve with yoghurt and coriander.
Share it with your friends.