Black Sesame Cookies
Enjoy this classic cookie during Chinese New Year. Easy to make and even easier to eat.
- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 80 servings
- 60 g ground black sesame
- 140 g unsalted butter
- 140 g caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 250 g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp black sesame seeds, for topping
- Preheat the oven:
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Make the dough:
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer bowl.
- Add egg whites and mix well.
- Mix in plain flour, ground black sesame and salt.
- Mix in milk.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough:
- Roll dough to approximately 5 mm thickness and cut out desired shapes.
- Top with black sesame seeds and press them lightly into the dough.
- Bake the cookies:
- Place cut-out dough pieces on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes till slightly brown on the edges.
- Cool the cookies:
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely on tray.
- Chef's Tips:
- Dust plain flour on rolling surface to prevent dough from getting sticky.
- Place cut-out cookie dough of the same thickness on each baking tray to allow even baking time.
- To pack, keep cookies in air-tight container to maintain their crunchiness.
- Fun Facts:
- For Japanese and Asians, black sesame is commonly used in desserts as it has various health benefits.
Share it with your friends.