Bollywood Burger with Tomato Chutney
Here's a Vegetarian burger recipe by Neha Sen from Everyday Gourmet
- 500 grams boiled potato – mashed course
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- ½ a chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 cup Besan (Chana dal flour available in Indian shops)
- ¼ -½ cup water
- Salt, to season
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- To serve:
- Neha’s Tomato chutney
- Lime wedges and Mint
- Slider buns
- Butter for toasting the buns
- In a pan, add 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil and heat it. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and let them splutter. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry it on low flame for about 3 to 5 minutes till they are soft. Add a bit of water if the mixture starts sticking. Add the turmeric and green chilies and fry for another minute. Add the mashed potato and give the whole mixture a good mix. Add some salt and cook for another couple of minutes and take it off the flame.
- In a deep pot, put the vegetable oil and heat it for frying. In a mixing bowl, put the besan and salt. Add water gradually to this mix while giving it a stir till it achieves a thick consistency almost like that of a cake batter. You may not need the whole amount of water. Take a lemon sized amount of the potato mixture and make it into a round ball. Dip it into the besan batter and ensure you cover it with the batter. Put the battered ball into the hot oil for frying and cook on both sides till the ball is golden in colour. Remove the ball and repeat step 10 to make as many potato dumplings as one needs. In a separate hot pan, heat some butter.
- Halve the bun and toast both pieces on the pan on both sides for around ½ a minute each. Time to put it all together- Take the base of the bun, add one potato dumpling, put some of Neha’s Tomato chutney on it and cover with the other half of the top bun. Garnish with Lime wedges and mint and enjoy!
Share it with your friends.