Bolognese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Enjoy grilled cheese sandwich with an added ingredient, delicious Beef Bolognese.
- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 2 servings
- For the Bolognese sauce (Makes extra):
- 200 grams minced beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 200 milliliters stock or water
- 2 tablespoons SCS unsalted butter
- Salt, to season
- For the sandwiches:
- 4 slices white bread
- 2-3 tablespoon SCS spreadable butter, softened
- 50 grams SCS unsalted butter
- 4-6 tablespoon Bolognese sauce
- 8 slices SCS Sliced cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- First, make the Bolognese sauce. In a pot, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and grated carrot, and stir for one minute.
- Add the minced beef, and break up the meat to cook it evenly. Finally, pour in the chopped tomatoes and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn down the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes. If the sauce is looking a little too watery, reduce the liquid with the lid off. Set the sauce aside to cool.
- When you’re ready to make your sandwiches, brush or spread some spreadable butter onto one side of each slice of bread. To assemble the sandwiches, lay one slice of bread onto a board or plate with the buttered side down.
- Place two slices of cheese onto the bread. Top with 2-3 tablespoons of Bolognese sauce. Place four basil leaves on top of the sauce. Another two slices of cheese goes on top of that, and then a slice of bread, with the buttered side facing up. Repeat for the other sandwich.
- Heat up a large flat frying pan over a medium heat. Melt the unsalted butter, allowing it to foam. Place the sandwiches in, letting them cook gently. It should take 2-3 minutes on each side, so if the sandwich is browning too fast, turn the heat down. The cheese should be oozing and melted. Slice each sandwich in half diagonally and serve immediately.
Share it with your friends.