Braised Mussels with Coconut Milk and Lemongrass
Delicious mussels in a creamy, aromatic and flavorful broth by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 15 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 6 servings
- 1 kilogram Mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable oil
- 1 Lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2 Lemongrass, bashed then halved
- 5 Red shallots, minced
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 Bird’s eye chili, cut into halves lengthwise
- 200 milliliters Coconut milk
- 800 milliliters Seafood stock
- 3 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- Freshly ground Black pepper, to taste
- ½ bunch of Vietnamese mint
- ½ bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Red chili, sliced
- Heat the oil over high heat in a deep pot, then add lemongrass, shallots, garlic, chilies and kaffir lime leaves, sautéing until fragrant and soft.
- Next goes in the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, pepper and sugar. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mussels and cover the pot tightly, until mussels have opened, which means it is cooked. This will take about 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning of fish sauce and pepper if needed.
- Ladle out the mussels with the broth into a serving dish. Garnish with spigs of cilantro and Vietnamese mint.
Share it with your friends.