Breakfast for champions by Trisha Yearwood from Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 35 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 4 large whole-wheat tortillas
- One 10-ounce package fully cooked breakfast sausage links (I like Jimmy Dean's turkey sausage)
- 6 large eggs (or substitute 6 large egg whites)
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 113 grams sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Pineapple Avocado Salsa, recipe follows
- 4 lime wedges
- Hot sauce, optional
- Pineapple Avocado Salsa:
- ⅔ cup grape tomatoes, chopped (10 to 12)
- ¾ cup finely chopped pineapple
- 3 medium avocados, diced
- ½ finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- ⅛ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and heat in the oven until warmed through and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using kitchen shears, cut the sausage links into 1/4-inch pieces. Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes, then add the sausage and heat, stirring frequently, until warmed through, about 4 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the chives, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the egg mixture, and using a rubber spatula, push the eggs toward the center of the pan until the mixture is no longer runny. Add the cheese and gently toss until cooked to desired consistency.
- Divide the eggs evenly among the tortillas. Top with sausage and 2 tablespoons of the prepared Avocado Pineapple Salsa. Squeeze a lime wedge over the salsa, and add a dash of hot sauce if desired.
- Starting from one end, roll the tortilla once, then fold in the sides and continue rolling until fully enclosed.
- Pineapple Avocado Salsa:
- Combine the tomatoes, pineapple, avocados, onion, cilantro, lime juice, red pepper flakes and garlic salt in a medium bowl. Add black pepper to taste.
- Cook’s Note:
- Serve extra salsa on the side with bagel chips, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To make the burritos in the microwave:
- Place the sausage pieces in a microwave-safe container and cover with a damp paper towel to keep from drying out. Cook on high power for 2 minutes, or until heated through. Add the egg-butter mixture to another microwave-safe bowl and cook for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Place the tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel and an inverted plate, and cook on high for 15 seconds, or until softened. Build burritos as per the recipe.
Share it with your friends.