Broccoli and Mussel Spaghetti
A quick and easy pasta recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 20 minutes
- 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 grams broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 10 grams butter
- 400 grams spaghetti
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli and blanch for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and roughly chop. Reserve water.
- Heat a large sauté pan over a high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the mussels, bay leaf and white wine and immediately place the lid on. Cook for 30 seconds and give the pan as shake. Cook for a further 30 seconds or until they just start to open. Remove mussels from the shell (reserving a few in the shell for decoration) and then strain the cooking liquid through a fine sieve.
- Bring the pot of water back to the boil and add the spaghetti. Cook for 6 minutes.
- In the meantime finish the sauce by return the mussel pan back to the stove over a medium heat. Add the remaining olive oil, garlic, anchovies and chilli and cook until the garlic just starts to go golden. Add the reserved mussel and wine liquid and reduce by half. Add the broccoli and mussels and toss in the sauce. Remove from the heat and add the strained cooked pasta, lemon zest, butter and pepper. Toss and serve with a few of the reserved mussels in their shell.
Share it with your friends.