Enjoy this French pastry by Darren Purchese from Everyday Gourmet
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 500 millilitres Milk
- 50 grams Unsalted butter
- 1 Vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 250 grams Icing sugar, sieved
- 125 grams Plain flour
- Capful Rum
- 1 Lemon, fine zest
- Bring the milk, butter and vanilla seeds to a boil in a saucepan, reserve warm.
- Mix the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Sieve the icing sugar and flour into a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and stir gently with a fork.
- Pour the warm liquid into the bowl and further mix with a fork or whisk to eradicate lumps. Try not to beat too much air into the batter at this stage.
- Stir in the rum and lemon and rest the batter in the fridge for at least overnight and for up to 2 days.
- Strain the batter.
- Prepare your Cannelés moulds by brushing softened butter vertically into the moulds using a pastry brush.
- Pour the rested batter three quarters of the way up the moulds and place them onto an oven tray. Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Bake the Cannelés for 35 minutes before turning the tray around and cooking for a further 15 minutes until dark brown.
- Turn the Cannelés out while they are warm and consume on the day.
Share it with your friends.