Charred Beef Patties with Pepper Sauce
Try this quick and easy grilled beef patty by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 15 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 500 grams good quality minced beef (I get my butcher to freshly mince chuck steak)
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon pink peppercorns and or white pepper
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns, drained from brine
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 tbs. brandy
- 200 millilitres chicken stock
- 100 millilitres cream
- Using a mortar and pestle, roughly crush the pink or white and Sichuan peppercorns together. Add the green peppercorns and crush a little.
- Add a good pinch of salt to the mince and combine with your hands. Divide the meat into 4 even portions and then shape into round patties. Press the patties into the peppercorn mix on each side.
- Heat a large pan over high heat and add the oil. Grill the patties for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the shallots, peppercorns and thyme followed by the brandy. Once the alcohol has cooked off add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil and reduce by 1/3. Add the cream and gently simmer until the sauce thickens. Add any of the juice from the meat back to the pan and swirl in. Pour the sauce over the patties and serve.
Share it with your friends.