Charred Beetroot and Lentil Salad
A healthy salad by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium beetroot, washed and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 large beetroot, washed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 150 grams black lentils (Puy lentils), rinsed
- 4 tablespoons crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup of walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 French shallot finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of dill, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place the beetroot in a bowl and drizzle over one tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and char for 2 minutes on all sides. Remove and place in a baking tray, sprinkle with fennel seeds and pour ¼ cup water over the top. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, place the lentils in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then turn down and cook for 20-25 minutes until just tender. Strain and season with a pinch of salt.
- Prepare the dressing in large bowl by mixing the cream, vinegar and salt and pepper. Add the lentils to the dressing along with the warm beetroot, walnuts, and a little extra olive oil.
Share it with your friends.