Charred Onion Bruschetta
Here's a small bite recipe perfect for pre-dinner chit chat by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 3 small-medium brown onions, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovies
- 3-4 sages leaves
- ½ teaspoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 70 grams pinenuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 6 slices of sourdough
- Pecorino, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Preheat a BBQ to high and place the whole onions on the grill and cook until black all over. Alternatively, pierce each onion with a fork and blacken over on an open flame of a gas-stove top. Once blackened, wrap in foil and cook in the oven for 30 minutes to soften.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove the majority of the outer layer (a little black is ok). In a mortar and pestle, add the anchovies, sage and the oil and bruise until fragrant. Now add the roughly chopped onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper and pound until a rough paste forms. Add the balsamic.
- Char grill the sourdough on both sides. Lightly wipe the hot toast with a little garlic. Spoon the onion mixture over the bread and then sprinkle on the pinenuts and pecorino.
Share it with your friends.