Cheesy Grits with Blackened Butter
Enjoy this wholesome Southern-inspired recipe by Tiffani Thiessen from Dinner at Tiffani's.
- 50 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Dinner At Tiffani's
- Blackened Butter:
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- Cheesy Grits:
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 142 grams Muenster cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- For the blackened butter:
- Combine everything but the butter in a small bowl and mix until well blended.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture to the softened butter and blend completely. (Reserve the remaining spice mixture for another use.)
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Place the spiced butter on the lower third of the plastic in a 2- to 3-inch-wide oblong shape. Gently wrap the shorter end of the plastic up and over the butter, using it to help shape and roll the butter into a log. Twist the ends of the plastic closed, like a hard-candy wrapper. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes, preferably 1 hour. (Makes 1/2 cup.)
- For the cheesy grits:
- Combine the milk, 3/4 cup water, cream and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in the grits, making sure there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the Muenster and Parmesan and stir until blended.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of the blackened butter.
Share it with your friends.