Cheesy Pasta Forno
Dish out this simple yet delicious pasta recipe by Adrian Richardson.
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- ¼ cup oregano, finely chopped
- ¼ cup basil
- 200 grams bacon, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 50-100 grams butter
- 3-4 slices mortadella, diced
- 1 cup roasted capsicum, chopped
- 700 millilitres passata
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 300 grams buffalo mozzarella cheese, grated
- 100 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 500 grams penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, garlic, bacon and herbs. Reduce the heat to low and cook slowly until the onions are translucent.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for about three minutes less than the packet directions. It should be cooked, but very firm and still a little crunchy in the centre. Rinse with cold water, drain and return to the pot.
- Add the mushrooms, bay leaves, butter, mortadella, roast capsicum, passata, salt, pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the firm partially cooked pasta to the stir through the sauce, adding some more fresh herbs and the eggs until combined, and take the pan off the heat.
- Place the coated pasta into a large baking dish. Cover with the mozzarella, scatter with the parmesan and bake in the oven at 180C for 35 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden and the pasta cooked.
Share it with your friends.