Cherry Almond Skillet Shortbread
A dessert perfect for a crowd by Trisha Yearwood from Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 20 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 10 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup sliced almonds, with skins
- 1 to 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray, then line the skillet with a parchment circle. Spray the parchment with more cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the granulated sugar into the melted butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift the flour and salt onto the batter. Add the almond extract, dried cherries and orange zest and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the skillet. Top with the sliced almonds and the turbinado sugar.
- Bake until slightly brown on top, about 35 minutes.
- Cool the shortbread in the skillet. When cool, cut into wedges.
Share it with your friends.