Chicken Matzo Ball Soup
Chicken soup for the soul by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 3 hours 10 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- Chicken soup:
- 1 whole chicken, approximately 1.6kg, cut into 8 pieces
- 400 grams chicken wings
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 large brown onion, unpeeled, quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 large parsnip, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, unpeeled, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tablespoon black peppercorns
- 5 sprigs parsley
- Handful dill sprigs
- Matzo balls:
- ¾ cup matzo meal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons schmaltz (chicken fat), melted (you can use grapeseed oil instead)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- Dill, roughly chopped, to serve
- Place all ingredients including the chicken into a large stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Season with sea salt and simmer stock for approximately 2 more hours, skimming fat from surface occasionally, until reduced by one-third. Strain chicken stock through a sieve into a large saucepan, reserving the celery and carrots to return to the soup, discarding the remaining solids. Season to taste.
- In a medium bowl combine matzo meal, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and baking powder using a fork. In a separate bowl, whisk schmaltz (or grapeseed oil) and eggs together with a fork.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, add the dill and gently mix together with a fork until just combined – the mixture should resemble wet sand. Cover and chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Return chicken soup to the boil over medium heat. Roll the heaped tablespoons of the chilled matzo meal into balls. Once the soup returns to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and carefully drop the matzo balls into the liquid. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until fluffy and soft – checking at 30 minutes. The balls should be floating on the surface of the soup.
- To serve, using a slotted spoon transfer matzo balls to serving bowls – 2 to 3 per bowl. Return carrots, celery and shredded chicken to the soup, ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with dill and freshly ground pepper.
Share it with your friends.