Chicken Patties in Lettuce Cups
A chicken dish perfect for parties by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 40 minutes
- 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 spring onions, white part only, finely chopped
- ½ bunch of coriander, stalks finely chopped and leaves reserved
- 1 x 2 centimeters piece of ginger, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 500 grams minced chicken (or two chicken breast minced in a food processor)
- 1 iceberg lettuce
- 250 grams thin rice noodles
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne or grated
- ½ cup of unsalted peanuts, toasted
- Vietnamese dressing:
- 1 fresh long chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- In a medium pan heat the 1 tablespoon of the oil to medium heat and add the spring onions, coriander stems, ginger and garlic and sauté until it just starts to go golden brown. Now add the curry paste, fish sauce, chilli and tamarind paste and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Place this mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- For the lettuce, cut the core out of the lettuce and then pull the outer leaves away gently. Reserve in iced water in the fridge (this will keep them very crunchy). Cook rice noodles as per packet instructions.
- Add the chicken mince into the bowl with the cooled spice mixture. Combine well. Wet your hands with water (so the mix doesn’t stick to your hands) and start shaping the mince mixture into 6 patties. Heat a pan over a medium-high heat and add the remaining oil. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- For the dressing, place all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pat the lettuce cups dry with paper towels and place into individual serving bowls. Add a small amount of the noodles, then the cooked chicken patties and carrot. Drizzle over the dressing and garnish with reserved coriander leaves and peanuts.
Share it with your friends.