Healthier bread option by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 50 minutes
- 4 servings
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- ¼ cup olive oil + extra for frying
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- In a large bowl add the flour, cumin, salt and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly add the water, whisking to remove lumps
- from the mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick frying pan heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook,
- stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add the garlic for the last 1 to 2 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in the herbs and then stir the onion mixture into the batter along with the oil – the batter should be the consistency of thickened cream.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a 20cm frying pan or crepe pan over high heat for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to
- medium and pour in a quarter of the batter – pancake should be about 1/2cm thick.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until some bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. Gently turn the pancake over using a spatula or palette knife. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until pancake is set. Set aside on a baking tray to keep warm. Repeat the process with remaining batter.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or as a side for a curry.
Share it with your friends.