Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
A tasty sandwich for lunch by Trisha Yearwood from Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 30 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- Chickpea Salad:
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- ½ English cucumber, sliced thin, for serving
- Sprouts, for serving
- Sliced radishes, for serving
- Green leaf lettuce, shredded, for serving
- For the chickpea salad: In a medium bowl, using a fork or pastry blender, mash the chickpeas and avocado together until incorporated, but still chunky. Add the green onion, lime juice, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper, and stir until mixed. If you want a spicy hot kick, add the cayenne. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
- For the sandwiches: Cut the pitas horizontally to create pockets. Spread the chickpea salad mixture into each pita pocket. Top with cucumber slices, sprouts, radishes and lettuce.
Cook’s Note: You can pulse the chickpea salad ingredients in a food processor for a smoother consistency, but I like the chunkiness of mixing by hand.
Share it with your friends.