Chilli con Pollo
A one dish meal perfect for weekday nights by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 4 chicken thighs, skin remove bone left in
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ of a bunch of coriander roots and stalks washed and finely chopped, leaves reserved to serve
- 2 red capsicums, finely sliced
- 100 grams Puy lentils
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 x 410 grams can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400 grams can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 500 millilitres chicken stock
- To serve, cooked quinoa, avocado, cherry tomatoes, yoghurt and fresh lime
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large casserole over medium–high heat and sear the meat for 2–3 minutes on each side until brown then set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, coriander roots and stalks, capsicum and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add spices, followed by the lentils and cook for a further 2 minutes. Return the chicken, add the tomatoes, kidney beans and stock and bring to the boil. Place the lid on top and turn to a very low heat. Cook for 40 - 50 minutes, or until the meat falls apart easily.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred with two forks, discarding the bones. Return the meat to the sauce and scatter on the coriander leaves and serve with classic condiments.
Share it with your friends.