Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Get this quick and easy chocolate raspberry cake recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 30 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 1 serving
- For the Chocolate Cake Batter:
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- For the Raspberry Filling:
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- For the Chocolate Mousse:
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 1½ cups dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup soft butter
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- For the Garnish:
- Chocolate shavings
- For the chocolate cake batter, preheat oven at 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan (about 2 inches deep) and line bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until thick and pale, about 3 minutes using a hand or stand mixer.
- Sift and fold in the cocoa using a spatula.
- Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Slowly add the egg whites to the chocolate mixture in three times.
- Divide the batter in the pans lined with parchment paper and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until it spring back with the touch of your fingers.
- Let cool slightly and unmold.
- Cool off completely.
- For the raspberry filling, in a small saucepan, melt the raspberry jam, transfer to a bowl and add the fresh raspberries.
- Stir delicately to coat the raspberries with the jam.
- Keep aside.
- For the chocolate mousse, in a saucepan, bring the cream to a boil and remove from heat.
- Pour on chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk ganache until smooth.
- Add butter and let cool at room temperature for about half an hour.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peak.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form.
- Slowly add the meringue in three times to the chocolate ganache.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- To assemble the cake, remove parchment paper from cake and invert one layer onto a plate.
- Spread half of the chocolate mousse and garnish with the raspberry mixture.
- Place the second layer of cake on top.
- Spread the remaining mousse and garnish with fresh raspberries.
- Top with chocolate shavings and sprinkle with powder sugar.
Share it with your friends.