Chocolate Sponge Sandwich with Chocolate Glaze
A beautiful and delicious chocolate cake by Trish McKenzie from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 8 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 3 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup SR flour
- 2 tablespoons CADBURY Bournville Cocoa
- ¼ cup very hot milk
- 100 grams CADBURY Dark Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 60 grams butter
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 250 grams strawberries, halved
- Beat the egg whites to a stiff foam. Continue beating whilst gradually adding the caster sugar just until mixture holds stiff peaks. Whisk in the yolks one at a time. Sift over the sifted flour and cocoa, gently fold in and then fold through the milk. Spoon the mixture into 2 greased and floured 18cm cake pans.
- Bake in a moderate oven 180°C for 20 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack. Cool.
- Place 60g of chocolate and the butter in a saucepan and gently heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Add the remaining chocolate and stir to combine. Cool slightly.
- Whip together the cream, extra sugar and vanilla until stiff. Sandwich the cakes together with the cream then place on a serving plate. Pour over the glaze and decorate with strawberries.
Share it with your friends.