Chuck's Awesome Poutine
Get this quick and easy potato recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- Deep Frying
- 60 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Chuck's Day Off
- 6-8 large Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups veal stock
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of whole green peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese curds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Clean and peel potatoes. Using a French fry cutter, make the fries. Or alternatively, cut potatoes into desired size. Place in large bowl filled with cold water and let sit for one hour and up to 24 hours for extra crispy fries.
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil on medium heat and sauté the shallots and garlic until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add veal stock, ketchup, cider vinegar, peppercorns, Worcestershire and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan on medium high heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes forming a roux. Allow to brown slightly.
- Whip the roux mixture into the stock and let simmer for about 20 minutes until reduced by half and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a deep fryer set to 250°F, blanch the fries for about 2 minutes. Let them rest for about 5 minutes.
- Then, fry them again for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a tray lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Remove sauce from the stovetop and strain. Plate fries in a shallow bowl, pour sauce on top and garnish with cheese curds.
Share it with your friends.