Chuck's Crab Cakes
Try this quick and easy crab cake recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- Deep Frying
- 30 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Chuck's Day Off
- Crab Cakes:
- 1+½ pounds (675 g) of crab meat, de-shelled
- 16 soda crackers, finely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chive, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Spicy Mayo:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 2 cups (500 ml) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Water if necessary
Pre-heat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- For the Crab Cakes:
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except olive oil and mix together well. Form palm sized cakes and place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- In a pan, heat the oil at medium high heat and cook crab cakes in batches, about 2 minutes on each side. Put them back on the baking tray and in the oven for 10 minutes. When ready to serve, garnish with a dollop of spicy mayonnaise.
- For the Spicy Mayonnaise:
- Using a blender or food processor, beat the egg with the Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. Add slowly the canola oil until the mixture starts to emulsify and becomes very creamy in texture.
- Add water if necessary to make a thinner texture. Add the Sriracha sauce. Continue to process for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Put aside.
- Cook’s Note:
- You can do a plain mayo (without the sriracha) and keep it for other use.
- The mayonnaise will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.
Share it with your friends.