Coconut Rhubarb Crumble
A tasty dessert by Sapna Anand from Fast Indian Cooking with Sapna
- 45 minutes
- 5 to 6 servings
As seen on Fast Indian Cooking With Sapna
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 110 grams cold butter
- 1 egg, chilled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 200 grams - 250g fresh Rhubarb
- ¼ sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 – 5 cardamom seeds
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- ½ cup condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cube cold butter into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, icing sugar and cold butter.
- Combine all the ingredients using your fingertips until the consistency resembles damp sand.
- In a separate bowl, add in the egg and water and lightly beat it together. Add this into the flour mixture and combine lightly using your fingertips. Do not over mix it.
- At this point you will have a slightly mushy dough. Place it onto a baking pan and gently smoothen out the dough to line the bottom of the pan with your fingers.
- Prick the dough base all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cut rhubarb into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the rhubarb and sugar to a heavy bottomed pan and stir to combine. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- The result is a part mushy, part chunky mix. Cook till 80-90% of the water is absorbed.
- In a pestle and mortar, lightly crush cardamoms
- In a bowl, combine desiccated coconut, condensed milk, and crushed cardamom. Mix all the ingredients.
- Layer the rhubarb mix evenly over the baked crust layer.
- Add another layer of the coconut mix and bake at 180°C for 6-8 minutes or until the coconut has toasted.
- Once baked, sprinkle some fresh coconut on top. Serve.
Share it with your friends.