Cranberry and Cashew Pilaf
Rice flavoured with nuts and dried fruits by Sapna Anand from Fast Indian Cooking with Sapna
- 20 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 mace
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberry (keep some for garnish)
- 2 cups of water
- Coriander (for garnish)
- Rinse and soak Basmati rice in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Roughly chop cashew nuts.
- In a large pot, heat ghee on low heat, add bay leaf, followed by cinnamon, star anise, cloves and mace. Sauté for about 1 minute, toss in the nuts and cranberry, continue to stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir to combine and coat rice with ghee. Add water, close with a lid and cook for 7 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Remove the lid to lightly fluff up the rice so it does not clump.
- Take the pot off the heat and leave the lid on for another 20 minutes for the rice to rest and absorb up the starch.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and dried cranberry. Serve.
Share it with your friends.