Creamed Celery Soup
A creamy soup by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 50 grams butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 500 millilitres milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 bunch of celery, washed well and chopped, young celery leaves reserved
- 2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 millilitres cream
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon. Take the pan off the heat and add the milk a little at time until the mixture is smooth. Add the remainder of the milk and place the pan back on the heat whisking until that sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Add the nutmeg, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and sweat off the celery for about 4-6 minutes, ensuring the celery does not colour. Add the white sauce and the stock and cook for 35-40 minutes with the lid on.
- Once cooked blend the soup with a hand blender until it is smooth and check the seasoning. Add the cream and stir through. Top the soup with the reserved celery leaves.
Share it with your friends.