Crispy Potato Latke with Smoked Salmon and Crème Fraiche
A one-plate dinner recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 kilogram Desiree potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup of loosely packed fresh panko crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or cornflour
- 2 tablespoons duck fat or olive oil
- 6 slices of good quality smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons salmon roe
- 100 grams crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 sprigs of dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch of chives, finely chopped
- Attach a shredding disc to a food processor. Shred the potatoes into a fine julienne. Alternatively, grate the potatoes on the coarse side of a box grater. Place the shredded potato into a large bowl of chilled water. Drain potatoes and place in a tea towel along with the minced onion. Squeeze out excess water. Now place in a bowl with the nutmeg, breadcrumbs, egg, potato starch and a good pinch of salt. Combine thoroughly with your hands.
- Heat fat or oil in a large pan. Place 2-3 tablespoons of the potato mixture in your hand and mould into flat thin discs. Carefully lower into oil and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden in colour. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange latke on plates and top with smoked salmon, a generous dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream, salmon roe and fresh herbs.
Share it with your friends.