Crispy Trout Starter
Get this quick and easy crispy trout starter recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 10 minutes
- 1 minute
- 4 servings
As seen on Chuck's Day Off
- For the Trout:
- 454 grams (450 g) trout, cut in 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mustard seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dill seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) tellicherry pepper, crushed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- Canola oil for cooking
- For the Shaved Fennel Salad:
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix all the spices with the olive oil. Coat each piece of trout with the spice mixture.
- In a non-stick pan, sear the trout on the skin side 1 minute until crispy. Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds or longer if you prefer it well done. Keep warm.
- For the fennel salad, mix all the ingredients together. Garnish the trout with the shaved fennel salad.
Share it with your friends.