Curry Chicken Pot Pie
Savor this this quick and easy pie recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Cooking For Love.
- 40 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Cooking for Love
- 1 packet of ready-rolled puff Pastry
- 1 kilogram cooked Chicken, shredded (whole chicken can be roasted at 200°C for 1 hour 15 minutes then shredded)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 4 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 300 millilitres Chicken Stock
- 200 millilitres thick Coconut Milk
- 6 tablespoons Curry powder
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 6 Shallots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1-2 tablespoon Chilli paste
- ½ cup thawed Frozen Peas
- 5 Carrots, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- ⅔ large Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- ½ tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 Egg, beaten and mixed with 1 tablespoon Milk or Water (egg wash)
- In a blender, blend the shallots, garlic, Chilli paste and curry powder until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender to ensure all ingredients are blended well. Add a bit of oil if paste is too dry
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add salt. Blanch the cubed carrots and potatoes for 3-4 minutes, then drain and set aside
- On a deep pan, melt the butter over low heat, add the flour and whisk until there are no lumps, for about 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and the coconut milk, cook until thickened and smooth
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the cooked chicken, blanched carrots, peas, potatoes, and curry paste and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add in more chicken broth or coconut milk if the curry is too thick
- Season with salt, sugar and pepper. Simmer for another 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and cool. Give it a taste and add more seasoning if needed. The curry should reach a custard-like consistency
- To make the egg wash, beat 1 egg and mix with1 tablespoon of milk or water. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the pastry into a piece bigger than the ramekin you are using for the pie – you can choose to make a single big pie or a few individual pies
- Ladle the chicken curry filling into the ramekin, then brush the egg wash around the edge of the pot and lay the pastry over the top of the pot.
- Press down lightly to seal. Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until the pastry is flaky and golden brown
Share it with your friends.