Egg Vermicelli with Sardines
A quick and easy pasta recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 4 servings
- 500 grams egg vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Large pinch of saffron, soaked in 2 tablespoons hot water
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- 15 fresh sardines, bones removed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to packet directions. To toast breadcrumbs, in a medium sized frypan add 1 tbsp olive oil and breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and toss for 4-6 minutes until golden in colour. Take off heat and drain on a paper towel.
- For the sauce, fry onion, garlic and fennel in 1 tbsp olive oil for 10-13 mins or until soft. Then add in tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add anchovies and saffron (together with the liquid) and cook for 2 mins with constant stirring. Finally add raisins and pine nuts and some hot water to loosen the mixture.
- In a separate frypan, fry off sardines and season with salt and pepper. Drain pasta and add to sauce. Top with crisp sardines, toasted breadcrumbs and parsley.
Share it with your friends.