Fish Head Noodles
Savor this quick and easy Thai-inspired recipe from Martin Yan's Asian Favorites.
- 35 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Martin Yan's Asian Favorites
- 250 grams dried Rice noodles or Banh pho
- 1 Fish head (500 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 120 grams Tapioca flour
- 120 grams Rice flour
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 960 millilitres Chicken broth
- A 3 centimeters long young Ginger, sliced thinly
- ½ cup Cooking cream or Evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- ¼ cup Pickled mustard greens, thinly sliced
- 2 Pickled plums
- 6 baby Bok choy leaves
- 2 Tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup fried Shallots, for garnish
- Soak the rice noodles in enough water to cover until softened, about 25 minutes. Drain when noodles are softened. In a large pot of boiling water, add the rice noodles and cook until done, about 1 minute. Drain well and set aside.
- Clean the fish head well, pat dry, cut into large pieces and season with salt. Set aside for 30 minutes
- On a plate, combine the tapioca and rice flours Dredge the fish head pieces in the flour mixture, coating well. In a pan, heat the cooking oil to 180°C over medium-high heat. Fry the fish head pieces until golden and crispy for about 15 minutes. Remove from oil and drain well on paper towels. Set the fried fish pieces aside.
- In a pot, heat the chicken broth over medium heat. Add the ginger slices and cook until fragrant. Next, add in cooking cream or evaporated milk, fish sauce, rice wine, pickled mustard greens, pickled plums and baby bok choy. Bring to a boil and add in tomatoes, noodles and ½ portion of the fish head then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes
- Then add a few pieces of the fried fish head into the broth, let it cook for a minute or two then place it into a bowl. When ready to serve, arrange the tomatoes, pickled mustard greens, baby bok choy and fish head on top. Garnish with fried shallots
- Chef’s tip:
- Extra rice wine can be added for extra flavor!
Share it with your friends.