Flower Shaped Steamed Dumpling (Choar Muang)
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious Thai dumpling recipe by Phol Tantasathien.
- 60 minutes
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 36 servings
As seen on At Home With Phol: Thailand
- 90 grams Rice Flour
- 80 grams Arrow Root Starch
- 120 grams Coconut Cream
- 120 millilitres Water
- 2 tablespoons Butterfly-pea Flower water
- ¼ teaspoon Lime Juice
- ½ teaspoon Oil
- 140 grams Minced Beef
- 60 grams Shallot, chopped
- 10 grams Grounded roasted peanut
- 70 grams Palm Sugar
- ½ teaspoon White Peppercorn
- 3 cloves Thai Garlic
- 2 roots Coriander Root
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Fried Garlic with oil, to serve
- To prepare the filling, slice the coriander roots and grind with white peppercorns and salt into fine paste. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and mix.
- Fry the mixture on a pan, on low heat until fragrant. Add minced shallots, and minced beef. Once the beef turns light brown, season with palm sugar.
- Put the dried butterfly pea flowers in a bowl and pour hot water in to soak for 5 minutes. Strain and add ¼ teaspoon of lime juice, set aside.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook until the filling becomes sticky. Cool down, toss in the roasted peanuts. Shape the filings into small balls on a plate. Set aside.
- Mix and knead rice flour and arrow root starch with water in the brass pan for 5 minutes. Add butterfly-pea flower water, then add into the dough along with coconut cream and lastly, add some oil. Cook the mixture on medium heat, keep stirring until the mixture forms into a sticky dough. Cool it down slightly on a clean chopping board.
- Dust a bit of rice flour on the dough so that it will not be too sticky. Roll the dough to a longer shape and cut them into smaller pieces. Then roll a piece of the dough flat and stuff in a portion of the prepared filling. Shape the dumpling into flower shape with a clip. Repeat until finish. Lay all the dumplings into the steamer.
- Steam the dumplings on high heat for 5 minutes. Arrange them onto the plate. Lightly brush with garlic oil and topped with minced fried garlic.
Share it with your friends.