Fluffy Cheddar & Chives Biscuits
Munch on this fast and simple cheese biscuit recipe by Anna Olson from Bake with Anna Olson.
- 20 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 18 to 24 servings
As seen on Bake With Anna Olson
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups loosely packed, grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg whisked with 2 tablespoons of water, for brushing
- Stir the flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and cut in (use a pastry cutter if mixing by hand) until no large pieces of butter are visible. Stir in the cheese and chives and then add the buttermilk mixing until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 6 hours up to 24 hours.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to just under an inch (25 mm) thick. Use a 2-inch (5 cm) cutter to cut out biscuits, re-rolling any scraps. Cover the tray with a tea towel and let this sit on the counter for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Brush the tops of the biscuits with the eggwash and bake for about 15 minutes, until they are golden brown on the bottom (they will brown only lightly on top.) Let the biscuits cool for 10 minutes, but they are delicious enjoyed warm, the day they are baked.
Share it with your friends.