French Toast with Salted Caramel Sauce
A sweet breakfast to kickstart the day by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 25 minutes
- 4 servings
- Caramel sauce:
- 150 grams brown sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) cooking cream
- 120 grams unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- French toast:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for frying
- 6 slices brioche loaf, sliced about 3cm thick
- To serve:
- Sliced banana
- Berries of your choice
- Cottage cheese
- To make the salted caramel sauce, combine the sugar, cream, butter and salt in a saucepan over
- medium-low heat, stirring constantly until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool slightly and stir in the salt.
- For the French toast, place the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl and
- whisk until combined.
- Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Dip half the
- slices of bread, 1 slice at a time, in the egg mixture and then place in the hot pan. Cook for 1 minute
- each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining butter, bread and
- egg mixture.
- Serve French toast drizzled with salted caramel sauce, with your choice of sliced banana, berries
- and sprinkled with walnuts.
Share it with your friends.