Fresh Ginger Cake
Get this quick and easy ginger cake recipe by Chef Wan from Best Wan!.
- 20 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 8 servings
As seen on Best Wan!
- 250 grams / 9 oz unsalted Butter - cubed, keep at room temperature.
- 227 grams Castor sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 250 millilitres Sour cream or plain yoghurt
- 454 grams All-purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 cm / 1 inch fresh Ginger - peeled and shredded
- 100 grams / 3½ oz candied Ginger, chopped
- 150 grams / 5 oz candied Orange peel
- Handful of Lemon zest
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in eggs, one at a time, and blend well. Add in sour cream, and blend well. Occasionally, use a plastic spatula to scrape the side of the bowl to avoid clumps
- Add in fresh ginger, lemon zest, candied ginger, and candied orange peel to the batter. Mix well
- In another bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda together, and sift them thoroughly. Slowly fold in sifted flour into batter, and mix well
- Grease loaf tin with butter, and pour in batter. Bang loaf tin onto table to firm the batter, and avoid air packets to form
- Bake the batter in a preheated oven, at 180°C (350°F) for 30-35 minutes. Test the cake with a wooden skewer and make sure it comes out clean
- After cooled down, dust cake with castor sugar and decorate it with candied ginger. To avoid breaking the surface, use serrated knife to cut the cake
- Serve together with plain tea
Share it with your friends.