Fried Chicken and Bacon Waffles
Enjoy this quick and easy recipe from Tia Mowry at Home.
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- 50 minutes
- 4 - 6 servings
- Fried Chicken:
- 1½ cups Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Celery Salt
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2+½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- Kosher Salt and freshly Ground Black Pepper
- One 3- to 4-pound fryer Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 3 cups Rice Flour
- 1+½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2½ cups sparkling water
- Bacon Waffles:
- 2+¼ teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Whole Milk, warm
- 2½ sticks Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¾ cup Turbinado Sugar
- 4 or 5 strips cooked Bacon, roughly chopped
- For Serving:
- Maple Syrup
- Hot sauce, such as Cochon
- For the fried chicken: In a re-sealable plastic bag, mix together the cornstarch, celery salt, garlic powder, baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. Place the chicken pieces in the bag, seal, and shake to coat. Remove the chicken, shake off excess flour, and set on a rack over a baking sheet. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, add enough oil so that it comes about halfway up the side of the pot. Heat over high heat until the oil reaches 375 degrees F.
- While the oil heats up, make the batter: To a large bowl, add the rice flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour in the sparkling water, while stirring, to create a thin batter, similar to pancake batter. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Dip the chicken in the batter, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Then, immediately place in the hot oil. Fry the chicken until the batter is golden brown, the juices run clear, and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. The wings take about 8 minutes; 10 minutes for drumsticks; and 12 to 14 minutes for the thighs and breasts.
- Drain the chicken on a wire rack set over a baking sheet, and immediately sprinkle with kosher salt. Hold in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- For the waffles: Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let sit for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture, the melted butter mixture, the turbinado sugar and the bacon. Mix to gently combine¿do not overmix; the mixture should be slightly lumpy. Cover with a dish towel and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes to rise.
- With a 1/3 cup measuring cup, divide the dough into small patties. Place the patties into a preheated nonstick waffle iron and flatten to the edges. Cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Hold the finished waffles in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve the chicken on top of the waffles, with maple syrup and hot sauce on the side.
Share it with your friends.