Fried Chicken and Capsicum Sauce Sub
Fancy a burger? Try this recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- Deep Frying
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 125 millilitres buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 225 grams plain flour
- 90 grams cornflour
- 4 store-bought chargrilled capsicum
- 1 pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cup of good quality whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, very finely shredded
- 1 large dill pickle, thinly sliced
- 4 soft ciabatta rolls
- Place the chicken on a chopping board, cover with baking paper and lightly pound to flatten with the smooth side of a meat mallet or with a rolling pin. Cut in half.
- Place the coriander, paprika, cayenne and onion powder, pepper, salt, sugar in a large bowl along with the flour and mix to combine. Transfer the chicken to a glass bowl, sprinkle on 2 teaspoons of the spice rub and rub it onto the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, wok or deep fryer to 180°C and line a large tray with paper towel and set a wire rack on top.
- Combine the buttermilk and eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk with a fork. In another shallow bowl, combine the flours and the remaining seasoning with the remaining spice rub. Start a production line by first dipping the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture and then in the flour mixture. In batches of three pieces at a time, carefully lower the chicken into the hot oil and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side until a deep golden colour. Remove with a slotted spoon, place on the wire rack.
- In a blender, puree the capsicum until smooth. Now add the paprika, mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon juice, and blitz again.
- Warm the bread rolls up in a moderately heat oven and cut in half. Smear the sauce over each of the cut side of the bread roll, add the two pieces of crunchy chicken and then salad.
Share it with your friends.