Golden Seafood Pumpkin Rice
Enjoy delicious seafood flavors with this Chinese rice recipe by Sarah Benjamin.
- 30 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
- 720 milliliters mixed brown and white Jasmine rice, soaked for 1 hour and drained
- 300 grams butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 20 grams dried shrimp, soaked in warm water until soft
- 10 grams dried scallops, soaked in warm water until soft
- 6 dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water until soft
- 3 tablespoons Chee Seng sesame oil
- 1 5-cm piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon Double Pagoda black sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Drain the dried shrimp, dried scallops and dried Shiitake mushrooms, reserving the soaking water from each, but be careful not to pour in any sandy grit at the bottom of the bowl. Pour the three types of soaking water into a measuring jug and add more water, until you have 1l. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the dried shrimp and shred the dried scallops. Slice the Shiitake mushrooms.
- Heat up sesame oil in a wok over a medium heat. Saute the ginger for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the dried seafood and sliced mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes, until the flavours have infused the oil.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and toss to coat with the oil, then add the rice and stir to distribute all the ingredients evenly.
- Turn the heat off, and pour the soy sauce, rice wine (if using), ground white pepper and salt into the wok. Stir to mix in.
- Transfer the rice to an electric rice cooker, and pour in the flavoured water from before. Set the rice cooker to cook.
- Before serving, stir black sesame seeds into the rice, and garnish with spring onions.
Share it with your friends.