Grapefruit Chiffon Pie
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this delicious dessert recipe by Tiffani Thiessen from Dinner at Tiffani's.
- 5 hours 10 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
As seen on Dinner At Tiffani's
- 13 whole graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup water
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh ruby grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 grapefruit, zested in strips with a citrus zester
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Pulse the graham crackers in the work bowl of a food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds; you should have about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. Add the sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add the melted butter and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of an 8-inch pie plate. Bake until the crust is lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- For the filling:
- Pour the water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin into the water. Let stand until the gelatin softens, about 15 minutes.
- Set a small pot of water to boil. In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Add the grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest and salt. Place the bowl on the pot of boiling water to create a double boiler. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and registers 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin mixture, whisking until the gelatin dissolves and the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard the solids remaining in the strainer. Set aside to cool, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once the filling has cooled, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until frothy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar, increase the speed to medium-high, and beat the egg whites until glossy and stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the cooled egg yolk mixture in batches until fully blended and no streaks remain.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust, allowing the chiffon to mound slightly in the center. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days before serving. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes before serving.
- Before serving, toss the strips of grapefruit zest in the sugar and arrange in the center of the pie.
- Special equipment:
- An 8-inch pie plate
Share it with your friends.