Grilled Cheese and Bean Heroes (Molletes)
Try this quick and easy Mexican bread recipe by Pati Jinich from Pati's Mexican Table.
- 5 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 4 - 6 servings
- 4 Teleras, Bolillos, Portuguese buns, petite baguettes or large Baguettes, cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
- 2 cups refried Beans, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups shredded Oaxaca, Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or mild cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Traditional tomato pico de gallo salsa, or other salsa of your choice
- Optional extra toppings: crumbled and fried Mexican-style chorizo, crisp bacon, ham, turkey, sautéed mushrooms or avocado slices
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese
- When they are all assembled, bake until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust on the bottom and around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Eat while hot. Serve with pico de gallo, or your favorite salsa, on the side
Share it with your friends.