Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
Get this quick and easy recipe by Tiffani Thiessen from Dinner at Tiffani's.
- 15 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 large Onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Sherry Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 12 slices rustic Italian Bread (each about ½-inch thick)
- 227 grams Gruyere, thinly sliced
- Heat the canola oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar and 2 tablespoons water, scrapping up any dark bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Transfer the onions to a bowl and reserve
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Lay 6 slices butter-side down on a work surface. Top each with 2 slices of Gruyere, a dollop of the onions and 2 more slices of Gruyere. Top with another slice of bread, butter-side up
- Heat a cast-iron griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the cheese begins to melt and the bread is golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until golden brown and the cheese is melted through, 2 to 4 minutes. Cut in half and serve immediately
Share it with your friends.