Grilled Sirloin Steak with Bearnaise Sauce and Roasted Kipflers
Impressed your dinner date with this steak recipe by Guillame Brahimi from Everyday Gourmet
- 4 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 50 millilitres extra virgin olive oil
- 4 × 300 grams beef sirloin steaks
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 600 grams small kipfler potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50 grams butter
- 50 millilitres olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- Bearnaise Reduction:
- 100 millilitres white wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs french tarragon, washed
- 1 shallots, peeled, roughly sliced
- 5 white peppercorns
- 1 fresh bay leaves
- Bearnaise Sauce:
- 4 egg yolks
- 25 millilitres bearnaise reduction
- 100 grams clarified butter
- ¼ bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ bunch french tarragon, finely chopped
- ¼ bunch chives, finely chopped
- For the bearnaise reduction, combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil and simmer. Reduce by half. Strain through fine sieve. Cool.
- Place kipfler potatoes in a pot with large pinch of salt and bring to the boil, once boiling reduce to simmer and cook until just soft. Remove from water and chill.
- Place a saucepan half full with water, bring to the boil. Combine egg yolk and reduction into a large mixing bowl. Place bowl on top of pot making sure the bowl doesn’t have direct contact with water. Using a large whisk beat the mixture over the hot water rotating the bowl so that the mixture doesn’t catch the sides. Once the sabayon starts to go a pale yellow creamy colour and is thickened, remove from the heat and place bowl on a wet tea towel. Add the melted clarified butter in a steady slow stream while continuously whisking until all the butter is incorporated and the mixture has thickened slightly. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper, add herbs and fold through. Keep in a warm place until serving.
- Place a pan on heat and add oil and potatoes, cook until golden brown, once golden in colour add butter and herbs, toss and drain.
- To cook the steaks, heat the grill pan over medium–high heat. For a medium finish, cook the steaks for 4 minutes on one side, then turn over and cook for 4 minutes. Rest the steaks on a rack over a baking tray for 4 minutes before serving.
- To serve, place steak on the plate and spoon over bearnaise, and serve with kipflers.
Share it with your friends.