Gulai Ikan Karang (curried snapper)
Get this quick and easy grilled fish recipe by Tobie Puttock from Wonderful Indonesia Flavors.
- 45 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 2 - 4 servings
As seen on Wonderful Indonesia Flavours
- 1 kilogram Snapper Fish
- 10 Shallots
- 4 long Red Chillies
- 4 long Green Chillies
- 1 tablespoon fresh Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 Green Bird's Eye Chilli
- A handful of Basil Leaves
- 1 stick Lemongrass
- 3 pieces of Tamarind
- 400 millilitres Coconut Milk
- Black Pepper, cracked
- Cooking Oil
- Heat up the grill pan using medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Char the shallots until brown. Grill 2 long, red Chillies to be used for garnishing till there are grill marks on them
- Blend 2 long green Chillies, fresh turmeric, ginger and bird's eye Chillies with a little water into a smooth paste
- Remove the head and tail of the fish and keep them for use later. Clean and scale the fish. Make 3 incisions on each side of the fish
- Use half of the blended paste to coat both side of the fish, making sure the paste goes into the incisions.
- Place the other half of the blended paste into a pan to make the Gulai gravy later
- Chop the 4 charred shallots into big pieces. Cut 2 long red Chillies into length of 1cm. Using a mortar, pound the shallots and Chillies with a pinch of salt. Add some basil leaves and pound the mixture into smooth paste.
- Smash a stick of lemongrass and add it to the pan with the blended paste. Add the paste from the mortar and heat the pan with low heat. Then add 200ml of water, the head and tail of the fish and 3 pieces of tamarind.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and then turn the heat down. Add half the coconut milk and bring the mixture to simmer again
- Remove the head and tail of the fish from the pan and add the other half of the coconut milk, using low heat to keep it at a gentle simmer. Then add 50ml of water.
- Heat up the grill pan with a little bit of oil. Sprinkle the fish with salt and cracked black pepper before grilling the fish. It takes about 7 to 9 minutes to cook on each side. Once cooked, transfer the fish to the serving plate
- Spoon the Gulai gravy over the fish. Garnish the dish with 6 charred shallots, charred red Chillies and basil leaves
Share it with your friends.