Ham and Cheese Filo Tourte
A savoury pastry dish by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 6 servings
- 8 sheets of thick filo pastry
- 50 grams butter + 20g extra of melted butter
- 50 grams plain flour
- 700 millilitres milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon crème fraiche
- 2 large handfuls of freshly grated Gruyere
- 1 egg yolk
- 6-10 slices of ham off the bone
- Witlof, radicchio and chervil to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease a 20-23 cm (approx.) pie dish with a little butter.
- In a saucepan, melt 50g of butter and add the flour stirring thoroughly to obtain a smooth paste.
- Take the pan off the heat and with a wooden spoon add half of the milk bit by bit to avoid lumps. Return to the heat and add the rest of the milk and gently whisk over a medium to high for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture becomes very thick. Season with salt, pepper, mustard, nutmeg, add the cheese and crème fraiche and then turn the heat off. Mix in an egg yolk.
- Brush a piece of filo with a little of the melted 20 grams of butter and then drape into the pie dish allowing the remaining filo to overhang. Repeat with the 5 layers of filo so the base of the dish is covered. Add the béchamel and then the layer the ham on top. Cover with the remaining filo and then fold over the over-hanging filo to seal the pie. Brush with extra butter and then bake in the oven for 30- 35 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing. Serve with a crispy bitter green salad.
Share it with your friends.