Herby Fish Soup
Check out this simple fish soup recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Cooking for Love.
- 30 minutes
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
As seen on Cooking for Love
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 5 Asian Shallots, chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, hard stem removed, cut into quarters
- 1 large under ripe Starfruit, sliced into 1.5 centimeters rounds and deseeded
- 1 5 centimeters piece of Ginger, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 teaspoon White Sugar
- ½ cup fresh Dill fronds
- ½ cup Thai Basil Leaves, roughly torn
- ½ cup Chinese Celery, cut into 3 centimeters sections
- 3 Spring Onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 large Lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons Ikan Bilis (dried anchovies)
- 2.5 liters Water
- 1 Pomfret, Garoupa or Snapper, filleted and cut into 3 centimeters slices, head and bones reserved
- White Pepper, to garnish
- First, prepare the fish stock. Heat up 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat, sautéing the ginger and dried anchovies for a minute, until fragrant. Add the fish head and bones and fry for another minute.
- Add 2.5 liters of water to the pot, make sure that the fish head and bone is submerged in the water. Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat down. Simmer the stock for 45 minutes to 1 hour, then strain and set aside.
- In a different pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over a high heat. Fry the shallots until softened and fragrant, then add the starfruit and tomatoes, and sauté until slightly softened, for about 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Add the fish stock, sugar and salt, and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Allow the soup to cook for 5-8 minutes, until the tomatoes and starfruit have softened but still hold their shape.
- Add in sugar, salt then season with fish sauce and lime juice as needed . Then add in the sliced fish and simmer for 30 seconds, until the fish is just cooked.
- Take the soup off the heat. Stir in the dill, Thai basil and spring onions. Sprinkle with white pepper before serving. Serve immediately.
Share it with your friends.