Homemade Soda Crackers
Try this quick and easy cracker recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 60 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 20 servings
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) active dry yeast
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) warm water
- 1½ cups (375 ml) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter, melted
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add the yeast mixture and stir vigorously to blend with a wooden spoon. If the dough is sticky, add sprinkles of flour until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it is soft and has an elastic consistency. Add sprinkles of flour to control stickiness.
- If using a mixer or a food processor, the dough will form a soft ball around the revolving dough hook and clean the sides of the bowl. Add flour if necessary to firm up the dough.
- Drop the dough into a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least one hour. The longer the better, up to 18 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (230°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a heavy rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle about 18" x 6" and no thicker than 1/8". Fold the dough from the short ends, brushing off the excess flour, to make 3 layers for extra flaky crackers. Roll again using the rolling pin.
- Prick the dough with the tines of a fork to help them cook evenly. Cut the dough along the edge of a ruler or yardstick with a pizza or cookie cutter into desired shapes.
- Place the crackers close together on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt from 12" above the crackers to distribute evenly.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 15-20 minutes until lightly browned and crisp, depending on the thickness of the crackers. Check the crackers several times during the baking period to make certain those on the outer edge of the baking sheet are not getting too brown. If so, switch the ones on the outside with the ones in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and brush the crackers with melted butter. Let cool on a metal rack.
Share it with your friends.