Instant Ramen Coated Squid Rings
Enjoy this quick and easy fried squid snack recipe by Judy Joo from Korean Food Made Simple 2.
- Deep Frying
- 60 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Korean Food Made Simple
- 227 grams (227 grams) cleaned Squid, bodies cut into ¾-inch (2-cm) wide rings, and large tentacles halved
- ½ cup (119 ml) Milk
- 57 grams / 120 grams) package Kimchi instant ramen noodles
- Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (35 grams) Cornstarch
- 1 Egg, beaten with a splash of water
- Lemon wedges
- Seaweed Mayo:
- ½ cup (75 grams) Mayonnaise, preferably Kewpie mayo
- 1 tablespoon crushed or finely chopped roasted Seaweed
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- For the Calamari:
- In a medium bowl, combine squid, milk and half of the spicy seasoning packet from the ramen.
- Reserve the remainder of the spice packet. Refrigerate the calamari for at least 1 hour
- When you’re ready to start cooking, drain the squid
- Pour oil into a large heavy pot or a Dutch oven to a depth of 2 inches (5 centimeters)
- Heat over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 375°F (190° C)
- Meanwhile, break the block of noodles into chunks and pulse it in a food processor into small pieces (about 1/4-inch (or 6-millimeter) pieces)
- Spread about half of the noodles on a large plate. Put the cornstarch in a wide shallow bowl
- Put the eggs into a third bowl. Set aside.
- Working in small batches, dredge the drained squid in the cornstarch
- Toss into the egg and let the excess drip off. Gently press both sides of the squid into the crushed noodles
- Transfer to another large plate as done. Once a small batch is coated, carefully slip the coated squid into the hot oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squid rings are golden, 1 ½ to 2 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking sheet or a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Immediately sprinkle the golden fried squid lightly with some of the remaining seasoning packet
- Repeat crusting the remaining squid in small batches, adding more ramen to the plate as needed. Between cooking the batches, skim the oil of any bits of noodles and allow the oil to return to temperature
- Serve with the lemon wedges and seaweed mayo.
- For the Seaweed Mayo:
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, seaweed and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (yield = 1/2 cup/120ml)
Share it with your friends.