Japanese-Inspired Yee Sang
Try this quick and easy Japanese recipe by Nik Michael Imran from Cooking For Love.
- 60 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Cooking for Love
- Yuzu Sauce:
- 200 grams Plum Sauce
- 150 grams Honey
- 400 grams Orange Juice
- 10 grams Yuzu Juice
- ½ tablespoon Japanese Soy sauce
- 1 whole Yuzu
- Yee Sang:
- 200 grams Norwegian Salmon Sashimi
- 1 packet Gyoza (dumpling) Skin, fried
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Daikon
- 50 grams Cashew nut, roasted
- 50 grams Almond, roasted
- 50 grams Peanuts, roasted
- 2 Mandarin Oranges
- ½ Pomelo
- 100 grams Japanese marinated Seaweed
- 100 grams Japanese marinated Baby Octopus
- 1 Lime
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 50 grams Sesame seed
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice Powder
- In a pot over low heat, whisk together orange juice, plum sauce and honey. Add in Japanese soy sauce and one whole Yuzu (pierced several times with a fork). Leave to simmer for 2 hours until mixture is well reduced
- Once reduced, mixture should be thick. Skim gunk off and strain mixture into a bowl. Add in Yuzu juice and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- To prepare Yee Sang ingredients, slice Norwegian Salmon fillets into thin slices
- Meanwhile, deep fry Gyoza skin and place on a plate lined with paper to absorb excess oil.
- Slice Japanese marinated octopus into halves, break Mandarin orange into segments and cut into halves, and crumble pomelo into a bowl.
- Finely julienne carrots and daikon and dunk them into a bowl of iced water. Drain the vegetables and toss them in a mixing box to ensure that carrots and daikon are well combined
- On a serving plate, arrange carrot and daikon mix as a middle centerpiece. Place roasted cashews, sliced roasted almonds, roasted peanuts, mandarin oranges, pomelo, Japanese marinated seaweed, Japanese marinated baby octopus, fried Gyoza skin and Norwegian Salmon Sashimi around the pile of vegetables
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the Yee Sang and serve with a side of chilled Yuzu plum sauce, olive oil, Chinese Five Spice powder and 1 wedged lime
Share it with your friends.