Japanese Spinach Salad
A Japanese salad by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 20 minutes
- 4 servings
- 2 bunches English spinach, washed thoroughly
- ⅓ cup of white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place the sesame seeds over a medium heat pan and cook until they just start to brown. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and place the remainder in a small blender or grinder. Once a rough paste forms, add the mirin, soy, miso and honey.
- Bring a large pot of boiling water to the boil. Add the spinach stalks first as they will take the longest to cook and then submerge the leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then plunge into a bowl of iced cold water. Squeeze out excess water and place in a clean tea towel to squeeze even more of the liquid.
- Roughly chop spinach and place in a shallow platter, drizzle over sauce and sprinkle on the extra toasted sesame seeds.
Share it with your friends.